From the German 'Kabinettskriege' - Cabinet Wars: a period of limited conflict from the Peace of Westphalia (1648) to the French Revolution (1789).

Wargaming Projects - 2 of 4 - The Past

A Potted History of my Wargaming Projects - part 2 of 4

Prehistoric; Past; Present; and, Pending

Part 2 - Past Projects: in no particular order, that were either pending or in play but have since been sold or passed on to others.

Among my late friend's Seleucid army that I inherited (see earlier post here), were a few 25mm Garrison Hoplites.


As I have a 'thing' for old-school gaming and figures, this started me off acquiring more figures that could make up a couple of small forces.  But then the big ECW project[1] came along and I realised these were never going to reach the table so they were sold off on eBay - I still feel some pangs of regret over this - these are just two of the half dozen lots I sold off:


Another Ancients project that bit the dust around this time was my 6mm Seleucid army[2] using Heroics and Ros figures.  This was given to a friend who also had a 6mm ancient army so I do still the get odd game with these figures, so no regrets here.  And these photos are from one of those games, with my ex-figures attacking an Indian fortress ...


... and breaking in!


While I'm not fan of the prevalence of skirmish gaming which seems to be pushing classic battle gaming aside, I have always done some skirmish gaming.  One set I was particularly fond of was this set of Samurai rules.


While I started a few Citadel Samurai for this ... 


... I quickly abandoned them for 25mm Dark Ages[3] figures by Citadel and Essex figures, with Huscarls, Thegns and Fyrd replacing Samurai, Chugen and Ashigaru.  These fell victim to the down-sizing of the last move and disappeared into the abyss that is eBay.

My tinkering with 15mm Thirty Years War (TYW) using Freikorps figures never got beyond a handful of units that were eventually sold to another friend and long-time gaming opponent - so like my 6mm Ancients (above) I still get to play with these now and again.


Another fleeting dalliance with Freikorps was with their 15mm Texan War of Independence range.  This didn't get beyond a dozen Mexican infantry, a few Texican skirmishers and some personality figures.


My 15mm Old Glory Seven Years War (SYW) project, Prussians and Austrians, was an altogether more serious affair.  This was an attempt to branch out into a different period at a time when I didn't have the spare time to paint anything myself.  So, I went with a pro-painter and all went well to start with.  


Unfortunately, after receiving one batch of cavalry I asked for a different shade to be used for horses' hooves in future batches and the painter promptly decided he was not going to paint any more for me.  I tried a couple of other painters but they just didn't match well enough to suit me (did I mention I have incipient OCD?) and the collection was consigned to the loft, only to go in the 2022 down-sizing episode.  All in one big lot together with my SYW OSPREYs.

Another project that fell casualty to my fussiness over painting was my long enduring desire to do Pony Wars in 15mm.  I have been around this buoy several times, but the last and most recent was with Blue Moon's 'War Paint' range and Fernando Enterprise's painting service - see below.


This was the best Fernando said they could do with these (sample) figures, so we called it quits and the Pony Wars project was once again still born.  I have tried other painters since but they have taken one look at the Blue Moon castings and declined to try.  

As you will have gathered, I can be quite fussy when it comes to figure matching, and this extends to the sculpts as well as the painting.  This has kiboshed two attempts to get into the Colonial period with 15mm Zulus, first with Naismith which I painted but then the figures went out of production (OOP) which brought that to a halt.


Then with Old Glory, where the bulk orders didn't match the quality of the initial samples ordered from a pro-painter.


The Colonial period seems to have a jinx on me, as another abandoned project, again when the figure line went OOP, was Ral Partha's 25mm Sudan range, albeit very small 25mm by modern standards.  


It's possible that the American Civil War (ACW) is another jinx.  I was much taken with the sculpting of Mike's Models 15mm ACW range.  Having bought several packs I found, as expected, that they painted up beautifully with a minimum of effort - just blocked in colours and a quick black wash (Tamiya Smoke) which picked up the sculpting really well.  Unfortunately, Mike's was taken over shortly after that and this range seems to have been lost for ever.  I can't find any photos of these, so I'll move on to my naval aspirations.

Naval gaming has always appealed because of the simplicity of the 'terrain' required and after toying with some ancient galleys, passed on to friend, I tried some 1/1200 ACW Naval gaming. Riverine warfare unfortunately demands more terrain than gaming on the high seas, and I found the games didn't do it for me.  So, my small flotilla, including fire rafts, all with removable smoke to signify when alight or with steam up, went in the great clear-out of '22.


My next foray onto the ocean wave was inspired by this delightful book by P Dunn.


And this time it was with 1/1000 Houston's Ships, for a fictional 'colonial contest' naval campaign between forces of a Gallic and Teutonic flavour.  And the curse struck yet again, this manufacturer went 'OOP'.

In parallel, and in the background of these naval calamities, was my desire to get into the age of sail, again stimulated by an old rule set.

With a vague idea of what I wanted the games to look like I had been bought lots of kits, mostly Airfix's HMS, but also HMS Shannon and kits some by others e.g. Heller, Pyro, Lindberg, Glencoe, etc.  


The plan was to modify them as described in this old article from the Airfix Magazine.


This not only proved a lot more difficult than I thought but I was also unhappy with the end result as the tumblehome was all wrong.  Buying all I need before experimenting whether something will work, or not, seems a common point of failure for my 'projects'.  Anyway, these kits have also now been sold on.

A more successful project, was my WW2 Convoy collection, inspired by yet another book, this time more a set of mechanics than rules.


For this I used GHQ 1/2400 for escorts and U-boats, 1/3000 merchant ships from Navwar and 1/1200 aircraft by Skytrex.


This was played on hex sheets, and gave a very interesting game, the tension of not knowing where the U-boats were, trying to locate them, and then drop your depth charges to best effect was a real challenge.  Unfortunately, my opponents only ever wanted to play as U-boat commanders as that was a lot less work, and the game fell into disuse.  Why I let this go in the '22 down-sizing, I don't know as it took up little space and would be good to run at the club I now belong to.


Not conventional naval gaming, but a good segue back to world of figures, was my Hornblower phase.  This really just consisted of acquiring and painting some 15mm Minifigs and in the end went nowhere other than out the door.



This acquisition of figures that I just 'liked' also saw me return to Hinchliffe 25mm Napoleonics with some Peninsular Dragoons and Guerrillas, the latter much modified.



My guerillas did at least get on the table ... 


... for "The 95th Rifles in the Peninsula [sic.] War (1813)" scenario from Don Featherstone's book, Skirmish Wargaming.

But that was not enough to see them safely through '22.

And a couple of odds 'n' ends to finish with.

First a WW2 aerial wargame with 1/350 planes by, the long since defunct, Helmet Miniatures.  This used a set of rules called 'MiG Alley' in an article in Wargames Illustrated issue 54 - this is not the same as the commercial set now available with the same name.  I modified the rules for WW2 and centred the game around the Luftwaffe attempting to stop a formation of B-17s defended by USAAF fighters.   

This game worked well, the B-17s were not player driven and just flew across the table and shot at anything that came near.  The players were either Luftwaffe fighter pilots only concerned with stopping the bombers, or USAAF fighter pilots similarly focused on the bombers getting through.  This meant the game was not just a turning contest between fighters as the USAAF often had to break off as another threat to the bombers appeared. 

These also went in the great down-sizing, and I really regret letting them go.


I have plans to re-do this, but that will have to wait for the last episode in this series of posts.

And finally, my 
10mm Kallistra Wildling Army (Game of Thrones) for the fantasy rule variant of DBA, 'Hordes of the Things'.  I completed all the interesting units for this: mammoths, giants, some cavalry; and even Varamyr Sixskins on a Polar Bear with three wolves, and a shadowcat (all by Eureka IIRC).  But I never got round to the warbands of warriors and these have joined a friend's collection but have seen little use since.



I'm sure I haven't covered everything but this is more than enough to illustrate how badly my butterfly has led me down so many dead-ends.


Notes:

[1] These will be featured in the 'Present' part of this series of posts.

[2] Why I keep doing Hellenistic armies is an interesting question as I find pike armies rather a staid gaming experience, but clearly there is some deeper need within me for such.

[3] Or, Early Medieval, as we are now supposed to call it - so mundane!

 

19 comments:

  1. Really interesting details. I have also sold a number of projects off over the years, complete and incomplete.

    The incomplete ones tended to be sold unpainted as the initial enthusiasm wore off before I started them - things like 28mm WW1, Crimea, etc where I realised that they duplicated game experiences I already had.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I expect we're not alone in this - keeping up one's enthusiasm in the face of a lead mountain is not easy. But if you don't buy the mountain, the b*ggers go OOP before you finish. Catch22.

      Delete
  2. Super read, really enjoyed it, strikes so many chords with me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While this tale seems pretty common, I know several gamers who have kept focused on just one period and scale - they are the lucky ones.

      Delete
  3. A fascinating read. I agree about consistency of painting style across a range or even across ranges. At one time I never dreamt that moulds would grow old and tired, let alone that companies and their ranges might completely disappear. I try not to have an enormous lead pile [it's more than big enough] and to buy when I eed the next unit but this does mean I get caught out if things just vanish from the market.
    As for butterfly temptations - they're just all so beautiful it's a job to resist. Unfortunately there is not the time to do everything there ever was plus a few might have beens but that alone can satisfy the lure of it all.
    Stephen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gosh,you really did have a big clear out in 2022! It is nice that you still have a visual record and even get to play with some of your old stuff occasionally. I've rarely regretted selling stuff, but when it has gone ta friends, it is always nice to see the old toys again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the invigorating sensation from clearing clutter can get addictive - I think I overshot the mark, just a bit.

      Delete
  5. You have ventured into areas I only ever fleetingly considered, stubbornly sticking to Napoleonics. Well done to you for trying, and moving on in the face of adversity and drying up sources. I still have a yearning for ECW (no figures at all) and Napoleonic maritime (a rule book and a couple of Airfix models on the shelves)....you may well have nudged me into getting on with it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I apologise if I've tempted you to follow your butterflies down the rabbit hole. OTOH I'm enjoying ECW at present if you've seen some my posts on that. Also, although I talk about Napoleonic naval, I really mean some of the earlier conflicts, like Suffren vs Hughes during the AWI, when fleets / squadrons almost always stayed in formation and didn't degenerate into a Nelsonic ruck.

      Delete
  6. If this is part 2 of 4 then I am beginning to think my own butterfly must be under control. Having said that though I have ACW armies in two scales, WW2 armies in two scales, and (incomplete) Punic war and Crimean War armies in two scales...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah but the next part will be current projects that are active, i.e. played with; the final will be those yet to be playable that have in some way been started, i.e. at least some purchases.

      Delete
  7. Quite a range of projects with some wonderful looking armies. I am not sure I could ever let any of my armies go as it takes so long to paint them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always about space. Now I have a dedicated wargaming space I do not want it to get cluttered, albeit is is a bit tighter than I'd like as there wasn't room for bigger cabin.

      Delete
  8. I really appreciate your forthright presentation about lost projects. So many lost loves! I too have had periodic clear outs, especially prior to purchasing the Tennant collection. The one that hurt the most was losing my 54mm AWI collection, but it did help me focus on the Hintons! Some of the AWI figures can be seen here: https://miniatureminions.blogspot.com/2010/08/54mm-american-war-of-independence.html. Along the way I have sold off a host of DBA armies in both 15 and 28mm, as well as some really cracking ACW Dixon figures that I still miss! https://miniatureminions.blogspot.com/2014/09/american-civil-war-skirmish-figures.html At least I have a photographic record of them. Perhaps the figures that I regret letting go of the most, but needed to do so, was an absolutely smashing collection of clan wars samurai. Wow those were nice sculpts! https://miniatureminions.blogspot.com/2012/03/25mm-clan-wars-figures-for-hott.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A life without regret is probably impossible, but with that Tennant collection to hand it must be pretty bearable.

      Delete
  9. Wow! And I thought I was a butterfly 🙀
    Those Garrison Hoplites were rather lovely that’s a collection my butterfly would definitely flutter around.

    The Samurai figures are the very first range I ever made for Citadel/Games Workshop…43 years ago.
    Many of them were based on Kuniyoshi prints.
    It looks like we both have a habit of not finishing naval projects.

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know - but the fact those samurai captured the something of the wood block prints was part of the attraction, the figure with the black and white triangles was copying an outfit from a print.
      Not all my naval projects failed - I have two up and running (well one hasn't been used for a while as it needs a hall to play in) and still have Tudor and ACW kits in the loft. I'm also keeping my fingers crossed for Martin (Lamming) to get out of hospital, as I haven't given up on Napoleonic naval yet.

      Delete