From the German 'Kabinettskriege' - Cabinet Wars: a period of limited conflict from the Peace of Westphalia (1648) to the French Revolution (1789).

Guerrillas in the Mist

Well, I've finally walked the walk and put together a blog to capture some of the trials, tribulations, and triumphs(?) of my wargaming hobby.  As I now have more time, and my own dedicated wargaming space (my bijou cabin, or 'cabinette'), there was no excuse left for not returning the compliment to the wargaming blogosphere which has provided me with so much enjoyment over the years.

So this, my inaugural post, features my newly completed 20mm Napoleonic Spanish Guerrillas, a VERY generous gift from Stryker of the "Hinton Hunt Vintage Wargame Figures" blog. 


The figures are mainly Hinton Hunt recasts but include a few genuine castings and even an Alberken(?) among those converted into guerrilla leaders and a crew for 'THE GUN'.  The 'Hinton' guerrillas have been organised into four 6-figure skirmish units, with leaders converted from other figures, the one holding the musket being from a Hinton Hunt muleteer as was one of the gun crew.  I'm reasonably pleased with them but do wish I had used less blue, as with the red headscarves they look a bit garden 'Gnomish', but with muskets instead of fishing rods.  

The gun crew consisting of four modified figures, including two of the guerrillas, is for my Warhammer Great Cannon.  This is for some silliness based around the film 'The Pride and the Passion' starring Cary Grant, Sophia Loren and Frank Sinatra, which was based on CS Forrester's book 'The Gun', which in turn was based on real events during the Peninsular War.


So, to round off, a photo of the full force deploying under the watchful eye of 'El Gordo', my Guerrilla general - a heavily modified Minifig.  


Making a late appearance, just before the man shouts 'Action!', are Cary, Sophia and Frank, made, respectively, from a Newline naval officer, a Lamming female civilian (WW2) and a Newline naval rating.  The mules and oxen are by Jacklex Miniatures.


Finally, why 'Guerrillas (Gorillas) in the Mist'?  Well, I sprayed on the first coat of gloss varnish on a really damp day, indoors, with a brand-new spray can.  This resulted in a heavier coat than intended which promptly started to go cloudy.  Cue a mad panic to brush them down with white spirit (I paint with enamels) and much bad language as in my haste I knocked over the bottle of white spirit.  Luckily, my ever-patient wife came to the rescue to mop up the spillage, leaving me free to thin down the varnish quickly enough that no re-paint was required. 





9 comments:

  1. Blimmin' marvellous! If your first post is anything to go by, this promises to be one of the all-time classic blogs, Rob. Congratualtions on taking the plunge. The world needs a bit of this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, but you have to take the credit/blame for seducing me to the dark-side. It's all your fault!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you went straight to the nightmare scenario of a spoiled final gloss coat on your very first blog post. Living in the humid deep south of the US, I keep a heated fan in the basement for just such emergencies.

    Sophia, Cary and Frank make for a delightful vignette next to the "Gun" which really does seem right out of Hollywood. When do we get to see them in action?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had no option, as they were just off my painting table they had to be the first post, and the anguish was still so fresh it was the obvious thing to say about them.
    Not sure when Hollywood will get a game in as I need to come up with some rules that will suit some fairly wacky scenarios - I doubt any conventional set would give a decent game.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on an excellent first post, Rob. All you need to do now is update it on a regular bases. Take my advice......you might as well, because I'm not using it!

    Arrgggh spray varnish......I will never use it again after my 'misting' experience. Well saved.

    Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Misting is a risk, but I've had so many bad experiences brushing on varnish that I will stick with it (and to it). I try to just put on a spray coat to seal the paint and then, later, a second, heavier, coat with a brush. The first coat stops the brushing action with the varnish from lifting any paint, especially metallics.

      Delete
  6. A splendid Hollywood start to your blogging life Rob…
    Here’s to more shiny toys…

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, but it may just expose my glacial painting speed. WM also sent me some useful tips on how to make the content more engaging so hopefully it won't go stale.

      Delete
  7. Great work Rob and nice to see them all arrayed in blog form! You have worked wonders with the Hintons…

    ReplyDelete